Re: why must Dell machine use i8k?

Quoting JACK MA <gundamfj2010@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,

Thanks for you reply. Sounds interesting. I found something via Google.
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/dell-fan-speed-control-t186638.html
The reason is Dell do not want to publish the details of the BIOS? Or the
engineers there are too lazy. I guess.

Wrong people to blame. Dell decided a few years ago to drop supporting
Linux on desktop and Laptop systems, and to only suport Linux on servers.
That was not an engineering decision; it was a management decision
(possibly influenced by a certain OS vendor located in Redmond, WA).
The correct response would be to not buy a Dell system if you intend
to install Linux on it, and to let Dell know about it.

So, how can I do to improve the situation? Reverse the BIOS to see how it
works and add a software layer?

Kind of. Note that i8k already implements the software layer, though
it is far from perfect.

Guenter

thanks,
jack