Re: Missing fan speed readout for ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard

Hi Rune,

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 03:02:00 +0100, Rune Kjær Svendsen wrote:
> I recently purchased an ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard, which has four fan
> connectors on it: CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3.
>
> I can only get the fan speeds of the first three of these fans, however,
> which appear as fan1, fan2 and fan3 in /sys/devices/platform/it87.656
>
> Is there any chance I might be able to get the speed of the last, CHA_FAN3,
> fan?
>
> I'm using fancontrol to control the fans, and this works wonderfully. The
> BIOS can't handle it, but it works perfectly with fancontrol - completely
> silent. The CPU is controlled by pwm1 and the chassis fans by pwm3, pwm2
> seems to do nothing.
>
> I'd really like to get a reading on the third fan. Any tips on where I can
> go from here? I'm willing to do some hacking to get it to work.

There can be three reasons:

* The last fan is connected to a different monitoring chip. Run a
  recent version of sensors-detect again:
  http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect
  and share the results with us.

* One of the fan inputs is multiplexed (two or more fans connected to
  the same input.) We do not currently support this and do not plan to
  support it in a near feature, as we don't have the board-specific
  information needed to do so.

* The monitoring chip driver (it87 in your case) has a bug and it
  should really display 4 fans instead of 3. Tell us which monitoring
  chip was detected, and show us the output of "sensors -u
  -c /dev/null". Also tell us which kernel version you are running.

--
Jean Delvare
http://jdelvare.nerim.net/wishlist.html