Re: Asus H87-PRO /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 05:01:28PM +0100, Mathias Gerber wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> On 22.01.2014 15:43, Michael Vorburger wrote:> Do I need any special
> drivers or other settings, for this motherboard? -
> > Thank you for any tips!
> Same mainboard here :-) Debian 7.3. My logfile looked almost the same.
> The chip on the mainboard is a NCT5538D. You have to get the module
> nct6775 from: https://github.com/groeck/nct6775
>
> Build, install it and load the module. Run sensors to ensure that
> values are shown now. dmesg should something like:
> nct6775: Found NCT6791D or compatible chip at 0x2e:0x290

Hi Mathias,

you were faster than me ;-). Michael, let me know if you have any problems with
the driver.

Note that the upstream driver supports the chip starting with kernel version 3.12.

> I had some issues with pwmconfig. The script tries to stop the fans
> completely. This does not work for the cpu fan (pwm2). I had to assign
> the pwm output pwm2 by hand to the inputs fan2_input.

Interesting that pwmconfig doesn't recognize this. CPU fans usually never stop
completely, and afaik the script should recognize the speed change.

Anyway, I would recommend to use the chip's automatic fan control if possible.
It doesn't rely on a script running in the OS to control fan speeds, and
usually works pretty well (and can be reconfigured if you dislike the BIOS
settings).

Thanks,
Guenter