Re: Sudden shutdown and wrong temperature reading (driver jc42)

2013/9/28 Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Olavo,
>
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:57:07 -0300, Olavo Luppi Silva wrote:
> > SHORT STORY:
> > The workstation suddenly shuts down, usually when performing intensive
> > computation. Workaround: comment line jc42 at /etc/modules apparently
> > solves the problem.
>
> On such workstations it is common to have IPMI, possibly even with a
> BMC for remote management. In that case it is possible that IPMI and
> lm-sensors conflict, as they try to access the same hardware without
> synchronization. This would explain the SMBus errors.
>
> If you (or the BMC) are using IPMI, you can't use lm-sensors. Use
> "ipmitool sensor" (or a similar command for other IPMI tools) instead.
>
> Hi Jean,
Thanks for replying.
Sorry for the ignorance, but I have just googled for BMC and IPMI to
discover it is a Baseboard Management Controller and a Intelligent Platform
Management Interface. :-). I am the administrator of Raphson workstation
and other phd students are the administrators of Gauss and Kalman
workstations.
So I guess we don't have a BMC or a IPMI installed on our systems.

Thanks
Olavo