Re: Backporting updated lm85 on RHEL5

On 12/09/13 12:08, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Phil,

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:40:37 +0100, Phil Perry wrote:
I'm doing this second-hand for another users. As noted above, I managed
to backport most patches subsequent to the I2C change and the module
compiles cleanly but still isn't working. The module loads but isn't
producing any output.

Below is the output the end user is seeing (he's also stuck on an old
version of lm-sensors-2.10.8):

[root@XXXX ~]# sensors-detect
Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `lm85' (should be inserted):
    Detects correctly:
    * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0580'
      Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x2e
      Chip `SMSC EMC6D100, EMC6D101 or EMC6D102' (confidence: 7)

Driver `k8temp' (should be inserted):
    Detects correctly:
    * Chip `AMD K8 thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no):
Starting lm_sensors: Error: Line 2429: Unknown feature name
Error: Line 2430: Unknown feature name
Error: Line 2431: Unknown feature name
Error: Line 2432: Unknown feature name
emc6d103-i2c-0-2e: No such feature known
                                                             [ OK ]

[root@srv ~]# sensors
emc6d103-i2c-0-2e
Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0580

....HERE SHOULD BE SOME OUTPUT BUT THERE IS NONE....

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
               +54°C
Core1 Temp:
               +46°C

k8temp-pci-00cb
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
               +48°C
Core1 Temp:
               +50°C

Maybe we need to backport support for EMC6D103 into his old version of
lm_sensors?

Yes, exactly. Contrary to version 3.x, lm_sensors 2.x needed per-chip
code on the user-space side. The EMC6D103 is too recent to have it.
Not only "sensors" but also libsensors had be told about every new chip
back then.

That being said the code should be almost the same as for other chips
supported by the lm85 so it should be easy enough to add. In fact I
think the EMC6D103 (not S) can be handled just the same as the
EMC6D102. The untested patch attached should do.

Many thanks Jean.

I came up with a similar patch based on the commit for EMC6D102 support. I've built an updated lm_sensors package with EMC6D103 support and will let you know how we get on once the end user has had a chance to test.

Again, many thanks for the support.

Regards,

Phil