Taking action based upon sensors

Is there any explicitly supported method to execute specified actions based upon the value of a sensor output exceeding a threshold or equaling a certain state?

What I'm looking for is a way to use sensord or a similar daemon based on lm-sensors to execute a command when a condition is met, such as the temperature exceeding a certain threshold. This could be done with a separate daemonized or scheduled log monitor, however that is a bit clunky, another item to debug, a waste of resources, and another undocumented interop to fail upon a package upgrade.

If there isn't, what's the best method for doing this and are there existing log watching/parsing scripts which have been thoroughly debugged? I'd like to avoid anything homebrew if at all possible.