Re: Module asus_atk0110 - Fan speed often shows zero instead of correct value

2013/7/18 Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:00:23 +0200, Simon Sandström wrote:
> 2013/7/18 Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Also, the asus_atk0110 driver heavily relies on the BIOS, so a BIOS
> > update may help.
>
> Asus P5K Premium. I'm pretty sure it has the latest BIOS version (can't
> check now, see below).

You can check the BIOS version of a running system, just read it
from /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version. Then compare with what Asus's
website says is the latest.

Oh, I didn't know that. I have version 1101, which is the latest according to their website.

> I tried using the option new_if=1 and it just
> screwed up all readings. For example it now shows 1.54V for all voltages,
> 1500~RPM for all fans and 150°C for both CPU and MB, which is way off.

OK, forget about it then.

> > (...)
> > For 3-pin fans, speed measurement is easy and reliable when the fan
> > runs at full speed. However as soon as control is applied, measurement
> > becomes harder. This is true when PWM control is used, but even more
> > when DC control is used: the speed signal weakens as the voltage is
> > lowered, and after some point it's difficult for the monitoring chip to
> > distinguish between the speed signal and the noise.
> >
> > So maybe your fan is spinning at the border between readable and
> > unreadable.
>
> Yes, I have fan control enabled both for CPU and chassi fans. I can not
> disable it at the moment as the server is running some services which needs
> to be up. CPU is set to automatic and the chassi fans is set to run at 70%
> duty. Both chassi fans are the same model, but only one of them is giving
> strange readings with lm-sensors. So I don't think there is a problem
> because of the speed control.

Keep in mind that the signal/noise ratio is somewhat model-specific and
even varies from one fan sample to the next.

I tried switching the two fans. Same readings as before: fan2_input showed 700 RPM and fan3_input showed 0 RPM (occasionally 700 RPM). So there seems to be a problem with the actual motherboard (or, less likely, the asus_atk0110 module)? I have not tried disabling the speed control in BIOS yet though.

On another note, how come they set the minimum fan speed for chassi fan 3 (fan4_input) to 800 RPM while the other two chassi fans has a lower limit of 600 RPM? As I understand, this limit is set by the hardware and can not be changed?

> I will try to disable the fan control and also try to switch the
> connectionof the two chassi fans to see if I can come up with anything.

Yes, good idea.

--
Jean Delvare