inaccurate fan speed

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on a lenovo l512 laptop.  It has been running a bit hot (to the touch) and since I run it full throttle quite often I thought I should monitor the hardware more closely.  I installed lm-sensors from the Software Centre, ran sensors detect (only detected coretemp), installed psensors and restarted.

The first thing to note is that the temp rarely starts or idles below 60C.  The second, and most apparent, is that the fan speed indicated is obviously erroneous.  It hovers around 790 when idling and when it is very hot (core ~95C) it drops to 550.  The fan is obviously spinning up a little, but still not as fast as i would expect for a computer about to light itself on fire.  If you look at the temp and fan speed graph generated by Psensors, there seems to be a strong negative correlation.  This leads me to think that at least the fan if not all the sensor outputs are off by some factor.

If you have heard of this problem or know a fix let me know.  I would be happy to provide any more details.  Although I dont know where the relevant data is dumped.

Thanks in advance!
Earl

--
Earl Middlebrook