Re: W83L786G not detected on vx800

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:59:27 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 03:21:29 -0700, rh wrote:
> > On the MB there is a winbond W83L786G but it is not detected
> > by sensors-detect.  The  kernel is monolithic (i.e. no modules)
> > and it is linux3.9.2.
>
> Running sensors-detect on a monolithic kernel is rather pointless. The
> whole purpose of sensors-detect is to tell you which kernel modules
> should be loaded. If you built a monolithic kernel you must already
> know that.

I only know that my fans are  running all the time and lmsensors was
mentioned everywhere I looked.

> > It seems that lmsensors is unable to see this device but it is
> > there.
>
> "lmsensors" is a set of tools. Which tool(s) are you claiming can't
> see the device? sensors-detect? sensors? Both? Something else?

sensors-detect

> What does "sensors" return?

That returns cpu temp and data from the w83l786! (don't have it
to cut-n-paste)

> > cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/name
> > w83l786ng
>
> It is there indeed.
>
> > As I said the actual device is a w83l786g
>
> Should't matter, while the chips aren't 100% compatible they have the
> same chip ID so the same driver supports both.

They do look close enough after reading the datasheet for each.

> > # sensors-detect revision 6085 (2012-10-30 18:18:45 +0100)
> > # System: VIA Technologies Ltd. VX800 [1.0]
> > (...)
> > Next adapter: SMBus Via Pro adapter at 0500 (i2c-3)
> > Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively):
> > Client at address 0x2f can not be probed - unload all client
> > drivers first!
>
> This is your W83L786G chip. sensors-detect would tell you if the
> driver was built as a module rather than embedded in the kernel.
>
> I have improved sensors-detect so that it can handle monolithic
> kernels better. Please give it a try and report the output:
>   http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/lm-sensors/sensors-detect

I tried this and sensors-detect produces the same output.
It seems I don't need to rely on sensors-detect though and
need to find out why pwmconfig cannot control the fans.

But it's another guess. I did see that in the 3.9.2 kernel there's
a separate flag for PWM that I had never noticed before. I think
it's new. I checked the box for that.

I just want to have fan control and it seems all the pieces are there
but something's missing.  It could be PEBKAC but I've looked at a
lot of stuff....the vx800 spec, the W83l786NG,NR,G,R datasheets,
linux/Documentation/hwmon, thermal, etc., etc.

Thanks for lm-sensors! And thanks for taking the time to reply.