Re: lm-sensors help question

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, 23 May 2013 21:40:27 -0600, Bruce Kettle wrote:
> Hi I have a Biostar a780l3g motherboard with a Phenom II 840 processor.
> I have Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit installed and current patches (kernel
> 3.5.0-30-generic).  I installed lm-sensors and ran sensors-detect, it
> properly detected the k10 sensors.  But when I run sensors the output is
> as follows:
>
> bruce@bruce-A780L3G:~$ sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1:        +32.0°C  (crit = +127.0°C)
>
> k10temp-pci-00c3
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1:        +23.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>                         (crit = +90.0°C, hyst = +88.0°C)
>
> I was hoping to be able to read core temps, but I don't think either of
> these are that.

k10temp is the CPU core temp. The value might be different from what you
expect because these embedded sensors have very poor accuracy in low
temperature ranges. What the above value really means is that your CPU
is properly cooled and you do not have to worry about overheating
(unless the value gets close to 70°C under heavy load.)

> It does not appear that Biostar provides Linux chipset drivers, although
> your FAQ indicates this should be supported in this version of the
> kernel.

What "chipset" are you talking about, please?

> Is there something I am doing wrong or is the board just not
> supported?  The sensors did work in Windows 7 in a variety of programs,
> so I don't think there is a hardware issue.

What monitoring chip do these programs report? I can't help you further
without the complete output of a recent version of sensors-detect (for
example http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect) on
your system.

--
Jean Delvare