Re: MSI MS-9832 Sensor Help

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:21:08 -0500, Bryan Guidroz wrote:
> I'm about to start on your article, but just wanted to put this out there to be sure I'm heading in the right direction.
> I rebooted the machine and recorded the following from the BIOS HW monitor:
>
> CPU Temp: 51
> Sys Temp: 37
> CPU Fan: 4615
> Sys Fan: 2901
> CPU Vcore: 1.16
> 3.3v: 3.424
> 5v: 5.087
> 12v 12.232
> VSB: 3.42
> VBAT: 3.42

As stated in the article, it is better to gather more than one sample
per input. For voltages it is the only way to guarantee you get the
labels and scaling factors right.

> I googled f71882fg-isa-0a10 and came across this to try to help me get started.
> (again, hoping for simplicity)
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg20054.html

Same board vendor and same chip, but vastly different platform. Thus
zero guarantee that this configuration file will work for you.

> In the config from that site (no idea if it's valid in any way,) I only modified the Aux Temp and Sys Temp (as it appears they were backwards in my system) and came up with this config.
> I placed it in /etc/sensors.d/MSI-MS-9832.conf (leaving /etc/sensors3.conf alone)

> chip "f71882fg-*"
> # Voltages
>    label in0 "+3.3V"
>    label in1 "Vtt1.2V"
>    label in2 "Vram"
>    label in3 "Vchip"
>    label in4 "+5V"
>    label in5 "+12V"
>    label in6 "Vcc1.5V"
>    label in7 "Vcore"
>    label in8 "5VSB"
>
>    # in0 is scaled internally
>    compute in0  @*2, @*2
>    compute in2  @*(1+100/100), @/(1+100/100)
>    compute in3  @*(1+100/47),  @/(1+100/47)
>    compute in4  @*(1+200/47),  @/(1+200/47)
>    compute in5  @*(1+200/20),  @/(1+200/20)
>    compute in8  @*(1+100/46),  @/(1+100/46)
>
>    # in0 is the chip's own VCC.
>    #set in0_min  3.0
>    #set in0_max  3.6
>
>    #set in1_min  1.2 * 0.95
>    #set in1_max  1.2 * 1.05
>    #set in2_min  2.5 * 0.95
>    #set in2_max  2.6 * 1.05
>    #set in3_min  3.3 * 0.95
>    #set in3_max  3.3 * 1.05
>    #set in4_min  5.0 * 0.95
>    #set in4_max  5.0 * 1.05
>    #set in5_min 12.0 * 0.95
>    #set in5_max 12.0 * 1.05
>    #set in6_min  1.5 * 0.95
>    #set in6_max  1.5 * 1.05
>    # in7 nominal value depends on the CPU model
>    #set in7_min  1.4 * 0.95
>    #set in7_max  1.4 * 1.05
>    #set in8_min  5.0 * 0.95
>    #set in8_max  5.0 * 1.05
>
> # Fans
>    label fan1 "CPU Fan"
>    label fan2 "Sys Fan"
>    label fan3 "Aux Fan"
>
>    #set fan1_min 2100
>    #set fan2_min 1400
>    #set fan3_min 1400
>    ignore fan3
>    ignore fan4
>
> # Temperatures
>    label temp1 "CPU Temp"
>    label temp2 "Aux Temp"
>    label temp3 "Sys Temp"
>
>    set temp1_max   60
>    set temp1_max_hyst  58
>    set temp2_max   50
>    set temp2_max_hyst  48
>    ignore temp2
>    set temp3_max   50
>    set temp3_hyst  48
>
> Now, sensors looks a little better, but still wrong.

I'm not surprised...

> Hoping the article will help me figure this out.

I recommend that you remove the copied configuration file while you go
through the article's instructions. Then you can compare your findings
with what the configuration file was doing, and fix it before putting
it back.

Note : the F71882FG uses an 8-bit, 8 mV LSB ADC for voltage monitoring.
This means that it can measure up to 2.04 V directly. This is the value
of in2, in3 and in6 in your original report, which means these inputs
are saturated. This means these inputs are unused. So you can start
your new configuration file with:

chip "f71882fg-isa-0a10"

   ignore in2
   ignore in3
   ignore in6

This will simplify your comparison work.

> (...)
> But, these mb vendors/sensor vendors/whoever need to standardize this.
> Like... 3.3v should just be 3.3v and CPU temp should just be CPU temp.
> Guessing there is a good reason it isn't so straight forward that's way beyond my pay grade.

I'm dreaming of something like this. Unfortunately there is no standard
interface in this area for now.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html