tap SMBus vis PCI slot?

I am interested in connecting my arduino to my motherboard's SMBus and I read the 'Hardware Hacking' web page here:

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/HardwareHacking

It occurred to me that the SMBus pins are routed to the PCI slot pins A40/A41, so I figured it should be possible to modify a PCI riser card and use this to access the SMBus.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience to share regarding this as it wasn't mentioned as a possibility on the Hardware page it seems that it would be a lot simpler than modifying a DIMM since you can get riser cards which use ribbon cables.

FYI, with the Arduino I would like to create a PID fan controller which can access the motherboard sensors directly. It would also be able to control/read the motherboard's built in fan controller as well as control additional PWM fans, at least that's the idea.

I hope to also be able to configure the arduino from the PC via the SMBus and possibly feed it cpu load information if that is useful in controlling the fans... probably not necessary with the PID controller. It could be useful to be able to switch between different cooling profiles.