Re: ITE it8603e

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 01:00:30AM -0700, David Hubbard wrote:
> I'd like to send the same patch again but add signed-off-by this time :) I
> apologize.
>
> * * * * *
>
> Add experimental support for the it8603e chip (Asus f2a85-m motherboard)
> Write only tested for pwmN and pwmN_enable.
> Read tested, but the following appear broken:
>   alarms
>   fanN_alarm
>   inN_alarm
>   inN_max
>   inN_min
>   intrusionN_alarm
>   pwmN_auto_channels_temp
>   pwmN_freq

I don't think it is a good idea to report attributes which "appear to be
broken". At least for the voltage limits and the alarms it should be relatively
easy to find out if they work/don't work. Whatever doesn't work should not be
there.

>   temp3_input (there is no 3rd analog temp input to the chip)

Other IT87xx chips report the AMDSTI/PCH temperature as one of the inputs. This
is usually configurable.

Another question is to what extend we can depend on the logic in it87_find() to
detect enabled chip features. It might make more sense to create another if case
in that function to handle the IT8603 separately.

Can you improve superiotool to display the chip's registers, and/or create a
manual register dump ? Maybe that would help identifying some of the missing
pieces.

Guenter