Fried CPU?

I fear I know the answer to this question before I ever ask it, but I'm
going to ask anyway, just in case there is a better answer out there.

	I purchased a used AMD Phenom II x 6 CPU and installed it along with
a water cooling system in one of my servers.  It was working perfectly,
except that the sensors binary evidently does not support alarms for the
atk0110-acpi-0 interface, so I could not trivially implement a shutdown in
the case of cooling failure, and like an idiot I didn't take the time to
write an interface at the time.  I put it on the back burner.  Unfortunately
that burner was the CPU itself and it was lit three weeks later when the
cooling pump failed while I was at work.  I came home to a CPU whose
temperature was 101°C, and had failed processing several times during the
day.  Most of the fluid was boiled away inside the coolant feed tubes, and
had I been gone longer, the CPU temp would have gone through the roof.  In
any case, I pulled the water cooler and put the old aluminum fin cooler back
on.  The system came up, and seemed to work fine for a couple of more weeks,
except that the atk0110-acpi-0 sensors were not quite stable.  I did not
have a monitor on them previously, so had no way to know if this were an
artifact of the CPU's having been excessively hot for a time, or not.  When
the replacement pump finally came in, I once again installed the water
cooler and brought the system up.  It only worked for a few minutes, and
then shut itself down, because the monitor was saying the CPU was
ridiculously hot.  It was difficult to even get it to bring up the BIOS, but
after letting the system sit without power overnight, I was able to get it
back up and disable the monitor before it shut down the system again.

	Processing seems stable, but the chip is reporting absurdly high
temperatures to the sensors command.  At first boot, it reported a
reasonable 36°C in the BIOS, but after coming up fully, the sensors command
is reporting temperatures of 429496652.5°C.  It is interesting the chip
reported a correct temperature to the BIOS, but that `sensors` is reporting
garbage.  I did run the `sensors-detect` command prior to shutting the
system down in order to check something.  My forlorn hope is that may have
caused some issue or that there is some other software fix for this.  I
could run it without CPU temperature monitoring, but with an active cooling
system, that does not seem wise.  (Hind sight is 20/20!)  I suppose I could
rig an external temperature probe.  The motherboard does have external
thermal sensor inputs, but the case of the waterblock is plastic, making the
measurement of the CPU temperature with a thermistor problematical.

	Is it at all possible this CPU is not fried, or that there is some
software work-around?