quesion about i2cdetect and i2cget

Hi,

I built i2c tools from the source i2c-tools -3.1.0 and try to use it to access my home brew DM3730 board. When I use i2cdetect to check I2c bus, the error "controller timed out" happens, but if I run i2cget to retrieve data from the device, it can get the right result. I checked the code to look for the difference, and found that in i2cget.c, the code

res = i2c_smbus_write_byte(file, daddress);

has been called before read data from device, which seems to set register address for reading.  In i2cdetect.c, there is no instructions like this. I am not sure if this causes the time out error, since i2cdetect app can scan other devices on the bus correctly.

Can anybody can help me to understand why this happens? Thank you very much.

-Ray