Re: Temperature sensors changed by BIOS update

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 07:46:01PM -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> At least I think that the BIOS update is the cause.  (I'm not willing
> to risk downgrading my BIOS to be absolutely sure.)
>
> The system in question is an Intel DQ67SW board, using the lm_sensors
> configuration file here:
>
>     http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/Intel/DQ67SW
>
> Today, I noticed that gkrellm was reporting my CPU temperature as
> -128°C.  The temperature mappings in that file (which I created about
> 18 months ago) are:
>
>     temp1: Memory DIMM Temperature
>     temp2: VR Temperature
>     temp3: Processor Temperature
>     temp4: PCH Temperature
>
> It seems that the correct mappings are now:
>
>     temp1 (SYSTIN)       : Memory DIMM Temperature (no change)
>     temp2 (CPUTIN)       : VR Temperature (no change)
>     temp3 (AUXTIN)       : (always reports -128°C)
>     temp6 (PECI Agent 0) : Processor Temperature
>     temp7 (PCH_CHIP_TEMP): PCH Temperature
>     temp8 (PECI Agent 1) : (always reports 0.0°C)
>
> temp4 and temp5 don't exist at all!

Do you use the new nct6775 driver ? Can you provide the complete output of the
sensors command ?

> Does it make sense that a BIOS update could have this effect?  If so, I
> guess I'll submit an updated configuration file that's only applicable
> to boards with more recent BIOS revs.

Could be, if the new BIOS changed the temperature sensor mappings, but I would
consider it unlikely. More likely you updated the driver; the new nct6775 driver
handles the various sensors on the chip differently.

The AUXTIN value suggests that either nothing is connected to the input pin, or
that the wrong sensor type (eg diode vs. thermistor) is selected. Most likely nothing
is connected to it. The mappings for temp6/7/8 are pretty common for Intel boards.

Guenter