Re: Intel 5500 temperature

Hi Karl,

Jumping in 3 years later...

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:36:24 -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> I'm working on a Tyan S7002. It has an Intel 5500 (AKA tylersburg) chip on it with heatsink that
> runs hot. Digging into the details reveals that it throttles back if it gets too hot -
>
> http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/designguide/321330.pdf  -- see pg 18.
>
> Is it possible to read the temperature of this chip?
>
> I've attached some readouts..
>

> More information at pg 159 of http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/321328.pdf

I have the same chipset on my Asus Z8NA-D6 board and decided to look
into this. There seems to be a thermal sensor in this chipset and
following Intel's documentation I wrote a driver for it. You can
download it at:
  http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/i5500_temp/
Generic installation instructions are available at:
  http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/INSTALL

Unfortunately it turns out the driver doesn't work for me. It returns a
constant temperature of 36.5°C. I've tested on a few other systems at
work, with the same disappointing result. I have read the datasheet
again but can't find what I got wrong, if anything.

I'm still sharing my work, in case it works on other systems, or
someone looking at my code can figure out what I missed.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html