sensors-detect changes monitor settings on hp pavilion dv7

Hi, I wasn't quite sure from the information on lm-sensors.org how to open an official ticket, but the details of my problem are here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1170583

Basically, when I probe i915 gmbus panel (i2c-2) with sensors-detect, when it probes address 0x4f my monitor settings (I think the sharpness mostly) are changed drastically.  This is persistent over any operating system and reboot, leading me to believe a) its a hardware issue, or b) nothing usually touches whatever values were changed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, in the forum post I've also included some experimentation with i2c-tools.  The problem originally occured on an Arch Linux system.  Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,
Andrew Potter