Re: Patching help

Hi Simon,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:53:05 +0100, Simon Tims wrote:
> I've spent many hours reading up on patching lm-sensors but I'm either
> looking in the wrong place, mis-understanding the patch command, or a
> combination!

lm-sensors should rarely need any patching of any kind these days.
Hardware support is in the kernel, so if anything you likely need to
patch your kernel, or a modified standalone driver (easier.)

> uname -a reports:
> 3.2.0-29-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:25:43 UTC 2012 i686
> athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> This is an HP Proliant Microserver N40L.  There are a few threads about
> this hardware and I see people have got sensors working properly on this
> machine, but I can't find how to patch the software correctly.

Presumably you refer to:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-i2c&m=133033220527043&w=2
(At least I think this is the latest version of the patch... Not sure.)

> Here's my sensors-detect:
>
> # sensors-detect revision 5984 (2011-07-10 21:22:53 +0200)
> # System: HP ProLiant MicroServer
> (...)
> Next adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0b00 (i2c-0)
> Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively):
> Client found at address 0x18
> Handled by driver `jc42' (already loaded), chip type `jc42'
> Client found at address 0x50
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     No
> Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 Yes
>     (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)
> Probing for `EDID EEPROM'...                                No

I suppose this is without the patch, otherwise you'd have more SMBus
channels listed.

> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
> Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `jc42':
>   * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0b00'
>     Busdriver `i2c_piix4', I2C address 0x18
>     Chip `jc42' (confidence: 6)

This is the thermal sensor chip on your DDR3 SDRAM memory module.

> Driver `to-be-written':
>   * ISA bus
>     Chip `IPMI BMC KCS' (confidence: 8)

Means you may be able to get monitoring information with ipmitool
instead of sensors. If your system has a BMC, that is.

> (...)
> Here's the output of sensors:
>
> jc42-i2c-0-18
> Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0b00
> temp1:        +30.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)                  ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)
>                        (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
>                        (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
>
> k10temp-pci-00c3
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1:        +31.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>                        (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +95.0°C)
>

> With help from Eddi De Pieri I got to this post:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-i2c/msg07284.html
>
> but I can't establish the exact process.  I was able to download the new
> sensors-detect binary, set it executable and run it.  I get these results:

You shouldn't need any modification to sensors-detect, the ProLiant
MicroServer issue is related to SMBus multiplexing, this is handled in
the kernel. Plus this version of sensors-detect includes Gentoo-specific
changes, so it's no surprise you get errors on Ubuntu.

> The threads I've read seem to mention patching an i2c driver, which I can't
> find on my system.

The driver is i2c-piix4. On your system it should be at:
/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-piix4.ko

If not, it means that the driver is built into a kernel rather than as
a module. You can check with:
$ zgrep I2C_PIIX4 /proc/config.gz
"=m" means module, "=y" means built-in.

> Can anyone tell me exactly what process I need to follow?  Or where I
> should ask if this list is the wrong place?

If i2c-piix4 is built into your kernel as you seem to imply, then you
can't replace it with a standalone driver, meaning the easy path isn't
possible. You need to patch the kernel tree and rebuild the kernel,
which isn't an easy process for the non-initiate.

I hope to find some time to finally review the patch in question so
that it can get upstream and things just work for users out of the box.
But I am just back from vacation with a lot of stuff in my mailbox so
it will take some time before I get there.

--
Jean Delvare