Re: asus_atk0110 and Asus P8H61-M

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM, John Keates <j.keates@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble setting up lm-sensors (sensord / sensors-detect) on the Asus P8H61-M.
> I know sensors-detect reports w83627ehf as the SuperIO sensor chip and it's corresponding module as the way to get the sensor data,
> but that doesn't work with the 3.1 kernel, with the detection of ACPI/BIOS (or EFI in this case) usage of that resource (or address space).
>
> Right now that module doesn't really do anything on my board. It loads, gives no output and stays loaded. (According to lsmod)
> I understand that Asus sometimes likes to change the atk0110 spec and a DSDT is needed to add support for a specific board.
> But I don't have a clue how to do that myself, and did see someone mailing this list with his DSDT so someone could pick it up and
> add support if possible. The same thread had something about the string atk0110 not being in the disassembled DSDT being a problem,
> so I apt'ed iasl only to find my DSDT not having that string! Does this mean it's not possible to read the sensors via the atk0110 virtual device on this board?

Yes, unfortunately ASUS is abandoning the ATK interface on newer boards.

> I don't really want to go back and use the lax setting on the acpi address space handling/detection, so that'd be a bummer..

The sensors is (AFAICS) only used to notify the host via WMI when the
temperature of the CPU goes over a threshold. I don't see _what_ call
that method, probably there's something polling it periodically.
Using the native driver is the only solution, I don't see any other
way to access the sensor using ACPI.

> Another thought, since this is pretty much an EFI board, does it mean you have to be booted in EFI mode to be able to use the atk0110 module?

It shouldn't matter.

Luca