Re: Sensors [via-cputemp] is cpu intensive?

On 4/22/2012 2:42 PM, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Dave,

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:19:24 +0100, lmsensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Most of /proc/acpi has been deprecated over time in favor of equivalent
(but often more generic) sysfs attributes. For
example /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature would now
be /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp. If your kernel had
CONFIG_THERMAL_HWMON enabled, you would also see this thermal zone in
the output of "sensors".

I don't have anything of note in /sys/class/thermal so I'll look at what I might be missing from the newer acpi configs.

I think you're looking at the numbers in the wrong way. It's not sensors or grep or anything causing a 10°C increase in temperature. It's the CPU being nicely designed with efficient low-power C-states which make it possible to save 10°C in idle state.

Yes and no. Even when the CPU was 'idle' and cooling down from the max of 57 to 46-ish, I was able to reliably increase the CPU temps by 3+ degC by running sensors twice and by 8-10 degC by running sensors 200 times which, in a loop. And running it 200 times on a 1.8GHz cpu takes 3 seconds. Nothing takes 3 seconds.

Yes, I realize that time is required to setup the execution environment for sensors and it relies on the kernel and bus wait times, etc etc etc... But...

Nothing takes 3 seconds.  :)

Cheers,
Dave.