Re: NEW Nuvoton w83795 hw chip driver

Title: Re: NEW Nuvoton w83795 hw chip driver

Good Morning,

Apologies in advance as I realise the subject of this email may be slightly outdated and the driver I'm referring to was created some time ago (back in 2009!) but I've reached a dead-end trying to get reliable sensor readings from a new ASUS server (ASUS ESC4000), and was hoping someone might be able to help.

The issue I'm having is that lm-sensors only reads back realistic values for about 10% of the time.  The rest of the time all fanspeeds default to 90,000rpm and all temperatures to -0.2degrees and over 80degrees, which are obviously incorrect.  I've tried using the latest version of lm-sensors and the w83795 driver but keep running into this problem.  The w83795 driver provided on the lm-sensorswiki/Devices is the same as that provided for this server via the ASUS website.

I'm using Linux CentOS 5.4 with a 2.6.18-164.el5 kernel (which isn't listed as being supported by this driver unfortunately - probably part of the issue).  I've also seen similar problems, although mostly involving sensor values locking-up, when using this driver and ipmi-tools or similar hardware monitoring utilities.

I was wondering if you knew of any updated versions of this driver, or alternatives I could try at all.  Any sort of advice at all would be massively appreciated!

Thanks for your time,
Will
William Chislett
t +44 (0)207 812 4822 | m +44 (0)794 0023 001
a Detica | Surrey Research Park | Guildford | GU2 7YP | UK
www.baesystemsdetica.com

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.

Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory.

The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies under the control of BAE Systems plc details of which can be found at http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/index.htm.

Detica Limited is a BAE Systems company trading as BAE Systems Detica.
Detica Limited is registered in England and Wales under No: 1337451.
Registered office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.