Re: Interpreting lm-sensors's output

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:15:22 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I just got a new fanless mini-ITX board and am concerned about
> its temperature.
> lm-sensors only finds two temperature sensors on this board:
>
>    % sensors
>    radeon-pci-0008
>    Adapter: PCI adapter
>    temp1:        +51.0°C
>
>    k10temp-pci-00c3
>    Adapter: PCI adapter
>    temp1:        +51.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>                           (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +97.0°C)
>
>    %
>
> IIUC both of those are sensors within my E350 processor (the first on
> the GPU, the second on the CPU).
> Now here's my question: how can I figure out what temperature is "safe"
> or what is "too high"?
>
> OT1H the "high=70" and "crit=100" would seem to give me the answer, but
> OTOH I don't know whether I can trust them (actually, I hope some of
> the output is "wrong" since the sensor readings go up routinely to 80°
> during long compilations).

They are correct and you should trust them. If you reach 80°C then you
probably need better thermal dissipation or a different CPU / graphics
power management strategy. For example you can blacklist the highest
performance level of the CPU and/or GPU. Adding a fan which only kicks
in at high temperatures would also make sense if your case and board
support that. If AMD CPUs have an equivalent of Intel's "turbo mode"
then you should disable that.

BTW, you may have other (unsupported) sensors on the board... Give a
try to http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect
and report the full output.

--
Jean Delvare