Re: questions about lm-sensors development

David,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 04:26:45AM -0500, David Kremer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> cheers everyone. Thank you for your lm-sensor programs.
>
> I asked recently in a thread if you support a LTS version for the kernel
> 3.0, and I had a positive answer. Nevertheless, things are not quite
> clear for me, and it seems your website is lacking of informations on
> how to contribute.

... and now things get confusing. Earlier we talked about kernel development,
now your headline says "lm-sensors". Are you talking about the lm-sensors package,
or are you talking about the kernel hwmon subsystem ? Both are completely
different (though one uses the other), and managed differently.

Specifically, it is up to a distribution maintainer to decide if a new version
of lm-sensors should be included, if any bug fixes should be included, etc,
while it is largely up to kernel maintainers to maintain kernel subsystems.

> Guenter uses a git repository, not sure how it interacts with the main
> kernel tree.

I have several git repositories on github, plus one on kernel.org.

> I would be glad to have a clear explanation of where are the
> repositories for the
> different parts of lm-sensors and the development routines you all follow.

What "parts" do you refer to ? Again, do you refer to lm-sensors or to the hwmon
subsystem ?

I have two kernel repositories, one on kernel.org, one on github. The latter is
a shadow of the first. The repository on kernel.org is used to send pull requests
upstream, and to serve as feed for the -next tree.

There are three branches:
	hwmon, for bug fixes
	hwmon-next, for patches queued up for the next version
	hwmon-staging, for patches not ready for upstream submission

Also, there may be a signed tag named hwmon-for-linus, which is used to reference
pull requests.

> Especially I dont't understand very well why your patch are numbered
> 0/4, 1/4, etc.

I would suggest to look into Documentation/SubmittingPatches for an explanation
on how the patch submit process works. Also, have a look into
Documentation/hwmon/submitting-patches for additional guidelines.

Guenter