Re: wrong output with fam15h_power

Hi Phil,

Am Freitag, den 18.11.2011, 11:11 -0800 schrieb Phil Pokorny:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Lucas Stach <dev@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use the fam15h_power driver to measure my processors power
> > consumption, but it gives me clearly wrong values. With a completely
> > idle system the processor claims to be using 125261718µW, which would
> > mean the processor operates at it's TDP limit. With all cores 100%
> > loaded it claims to be using 130675781µW which I can't believe as this
> > would mean the processor violates it's own spec.
>
> You have to read the vendor documentation carefully...
>
> TDP numbers are *not* necessarily the maximum power draw.  They are
> the *design* point for a thermal solution.

I appreciate your answer but his is *not* the point here. The point is
the fam15h_power driver is claiming the processor is useing a totally
unbelievable 125W while idle, while physical measurements have shown
that fam15h processors do not use more than a few (below 10) Watts in
this state.

Also the processor itself claims to have an upper TDP limit of 124.77W
(as shown by fam15h_power), so no measurement should ever exceed this.