Re: Using Asus P5Q-E sensors/pwm

On 6/30/2011 3:53 PM, Jean Delvare wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:42:30 +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 01:47:15PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
Is it OK if you disable smart fan control altogether? If even the
fastest smart fan setting doesn't work for you, then maybe your cooling
solution is simply not adequate.

q-fan turbo is most of the time enough, it is just not smart enough to
figure out my weird cooling installation when the weather is getting
warmy (though, nothing seems to be really boiling, but some temps might
reduce parts lifetimes). And it obviously cannot figure out when I don't
care about noise, and when I do.

I would certainly appreciate if Asus could add fine-tuning to their
BIOS rather than arbitrary thermal profiles (if nothing else, just to
see what each profiles does exactly.) And I would appreciate even more
if we had a way to adjust the values at runtime.

I agree with Jean. I and many of my friends use Asus boards exclusively for desktop purposes (non-work related builds). Fine-tuning the fans/cooling profiles would be appreciated for the same reasons.