Question about coretemp ttarget

Hi Durgadoss, Fenghua and Guenter,

With commit 199e0de7f5df31a4fc485d4aaaf8a07718252ace (hwmon: (coretemp)
Merge pkgtemp with coretemp), the following piece of code was added to
the coretemp driver:

+static void update_ttarget(__u8 cpu_model, struct temp_data *tdata,
+                               struct device *dev)
+{
+       int err;
+       u32 eax, edx;
+
+       /*
+        * Initialize ttarget value. Eventually this will be
+        * initialized with the value from MSR_IA32_THERM_INTERRUPT
+        * register. If IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET is supported, this
+        * value will be over written below.
+        * To Do: Patch to initialize ttarget from MSR_IA32_THERM_INTERRUPT
+        */
+       tdata->ttarget = tdata->tjmax - 20000;

I have questions and concerns about this (on top of the fact that this
side change was not documented and should have been submitted as a
separate patch, if it is really correct.)

1* Where does the magic 20°C constant come from? Is this just an
   arbitrary approximation, or is it really correct?

2* Do all Intel CPUs with DTS really have a target temperature? So far,
   the tempX_max limit (which corresponds to ttarget) was only created
   conditionally, on new CPU models. Older models did not have it. As a
   matter of fact, the documentation file says that the feature is only
   available since Core 2. Please remember that we do NOT want to
   present fake limits to user-space. Any limit exposed to user-space
   should correspond to a real attribute of the CPU (or core.)

3* Why is the "to do" item not done yet? We have already just made
   significant changes to the coretemp driver, which break user-space
   compatibility to some degree. I don't want to do it again with the
   next kernel version. So if MSR_IA32_THERM_INTERRUPT can be used to
   get a better value for tdata->ttarget, then please let's implement
   it properly right now, for kernel 3.0.

If anyone has comments on this, please speak up.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare