Re: Will there ever be EMC6w201 support?

I went back through the logs to make sure there was nothing
about the latest i8k in them.  Actually I found only ONE
line in syslog:

May 11 11:07:12 XX kernel: [173400.479332]  [<ffffffffa00613f2>]
i8k_hwmon_show_fan+0x32/0x40 [i8k]

So, presumably set segfault occurs right after that....
But, maybe it's a clue for Jean or someone...

	Harry

On Thu, 12 May 2011 18:00:51 +0200 Jean Delvare wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, 12 May 2011 09:18:41 -0600, Harry G McGavran Jr wrote:
> The latest i8k insmod's ok, but when I run /usr/bin/sensors
> after loading it I get the emc report and then the i8k report.
> Right after sensors prints the i8k line and just before
> it would give me the sensors info I get a segfault
> from something related to the app, maybe /usr/bin/sensors
> itself, but the window where the command is typed is frozen.
> No keyboard interrupts will stop it, one has to kill the
> window to stop /usr/bin/sensors.  At that point other windows
> are still active.  There are no messages in the /var/log/messages,
> syslog, or daemon log about it.  As root if I try to rmmod i8k
> that hangs in the same way.  Ps reports that the rmmod
> is in some kind of wait state and that is not interuptable either.
>
> A reboot is the only way to clear it up.
>
> emc6w201 seems to depend on i2c_801 and i2c_dev which I believe

There is a soft dependency between i2c-i801 and emc6w201, in that the
former is needed for the latter to reach the monitoring device, yes.
i2c-dev isn't needed other than for sensors-detect and debugging.

> i8k does as well, so I didn't load any other modules except i8k.

i8k doesn't depend on any other kernel module.

> I had removed the Ubuntu i8kutils package as I'm no longer using i8k,
> and perhaps there is some module in that package that the i8k module
> needs -- I didn't check.  That might be the reason, but I was guessing

No, i8kutils contains a user-space helper for the i8k module, and
that's all. My changes to the i8k make it partly useless (on purpose).

> the i8k modules dependencies were the came as emc6w201's.
> There was nothing in the logs about any of this and no core file
> for whatever is segfaulting. The only error message is the "segmentation fault"
> after the /usr/bin/sensors i8k announcement line.

You can check with "ulimit -c" if a core dump will be written on
segmentation fault. But it could be that no core is written because the
problem is in i8k itself and not in the user-space application.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to investigate this further. This
makes me feel sad because Luca's findings were very promising :(

--
Jean Delvare

--- End Message ---
--