Re: Will there ever be EMC6w201 support?

The latest i8k insmod's ok, but when I run /usr/bin/sensors
after loading it I get the emc report and then the i8k report.
Right after sensors prints the i8k line and just before
it would give me the sensors info I get a segfault
from something related to the app, maybe /usr/bin/sensors
itself, but the window where the command is typed is frozen.
No keyboard interrupts will stop it, one has to kill the
window to stop /usr/bin/sensors.  At that point other windows
are still active.  There are no messages in the /var/log/messages,
syslog, or daemon log about it.  As root if I try to rmmod i8k
that hangs in the same way.  Ps reports that the rmmod
is in some kind of wait state and that is not interuptable either.

A reboot is the only way to clear it up.

emc6w201 seems to depend on i2c_801 and i2c_dev which I believe
i8k does as well, so I didn't load any other modules except i8k.
I had removed the Ubuntu i8kutils package as I'm no longer using i8k,
and perhaps there is some module in that package that the i8k module
needs -- I didn't check.  That might be the reason, but I was guessing
the i8k modules dependencies were the came as emc6w201's.
There was nothing in the logs about any of this and no core file
for whatever is segfaulting. The only error message is the "segmentation fault"
after the /usr/bin/sensors i8k announcement line.

	Harry

On Thu, 12 May 2011 15:47:43 +0200 Jean Delvare wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Harry,

On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:15:05 -0600, Harry G McGavran Jr wrote:
> This new i8k crashes on my machine, the old one does not.

This is bad news. Can you tell us more? Maybe a backtrace in the logs
when the crash happens? The full error message would be useful.

--
Jean Delvare

--- End Message ---
--