Re: Will there ever be EMC6w201 support?

On 5/8/2011 10:27 AM, Harry G McGavran Jr wrote:
On Sun, 8 May 2011 14:29:05 +0200 Jean Delvare wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 06:19:11 -0500, Jeff Rickman wrote:
On 5/8/2011 1:27 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
Did you try loading this original i8k driver? Did it work? What are the
contents of /proc/i8k then?

[testing with original "i8k" module]
(1) Removed new "i8k" module from /lib/modules tree
(2) Checked "/proc/i8k". No such file or directory
(3) Copied original "i8k" module back to it's location in:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/char
(4) Ran "depmod -a"
(5) Rebooted PC to obtain known stable state

After reboot...
(6) Checked "/proc/i8k". No such file or directory
(7) Checked "lsmod". "i8k" is not loaded
(8) Attempted to load original "i8k" but it crashed.
      Crash output is attached.
(9) Rechecked "/proc/i8k". No such file or directory
(10) Rebooted PC to return to known stable state

This means that my changes aren't responsible for the crash, nor is the
fact of building the driver standalone. So I will leave it to the
Fedora kernel maintainers to resolve, if you care and if they are
interested.

--
Jean Delvare

Hi Jean (and others) ---

This morning I got up to find a number of messages in this thread.

I will comment in some of the queries made of me in it so that
people have the info, but it looks like things are pretty good anyway.

I have a single CPU Dell 670 with the A07 BIOS. I'm running Ubuntu Lucid
with the 2.6.32-31 kernel.

I didn't have any trouble with i2c_dev, i2c_801, the new i8k or
emc6w201.

I've now uninstalled the i8kutils package and i8k, and am using
only libsensors to monitor with. I'm guessing i8k really applies
only to Dell Insirion Laptops, but in any event emc6w201 gives
me everything in a much easier way to deal with.

Thanks again Jean! (I'm keeping your hints list at hand...)

	Harry McGavran

What Harry's comments tell me is the original "i8k" code lacks appropriate code to operate in a SMP environment. I think the Console messages are trying to say that for "non-programmers" like myself.

Note these differences:
- Harry has a single CPU; I have 2 CPU.
- We both run the same Dell BIOS A07 code.
- Harry's Linux kernel is slightly older than my 2.6.35.12-90 Fedora code.
- I think we would all agree that Jean's changes do not cause my crash since that code works on Harry's machine but not on mine.

Time permitting, I will start doing the research to submit a properly documented bug against Fedora Core 14 regarding this code. I suspect this issue will also reside in FC15 so that is another point to check if time allows. jean raises the real question: does anyone in the Fedora team want to fix this?

In closing, I agree with Harry: it is very nice to have some hardware monitoring in a Dell platform.