Re: Update on DS1721, DS1631, DS1631A, DS1731

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 03:28:51 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 03:57:58AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > If memory serves, at least the DS1631 supports better resolution than
> > the ds1621 driver currently offers. So claiming that it is supported
> > isn't completely exact. What the driver supports is really the DS1621
> > and the other chips happen to emulate it.
> >
> > It should really not be difficult to add proper support for all chips,
> > I just could never find the time to look into it. The chips I have here
> > are: one DS1621, two DS1631+ and two DS1624+.
> >
> Sure, can do that. What would you suggest ? Pick the best available resolution ?

By default, sure, why not? If anybody needs specific configuration,
they can add platform data.

> Also, if we do that, I would use i2c_device_id to select the part, and not try
> to auto-detect it. Another option would be to play with the configuration register
> and try detecting chip types this way (ie set bit 3,4 and observe the result).

You aren't allowed to write to the device in the detect function.

> Not sure if that is a good idea, though. Any thoughts on this ?

As I said before, I would blast detection code completely, and rely on
explicit instantiation for all devices (i.e. trust i2c_device_id).

--
Jean Delvare