Re: Standalone driver for W83677HG-I, NCT6775F, NCT6776F - fan alarm

From: "Jean Delvare" <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 11:00 AM
To: "Guenter Roeck" <guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Andrea Rizzolo" <andrea.rizzolo@xxxxxxxxx>; <lm-sensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Standalone driver for W83677HG-I, NCT6775F, NCT6776F

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:56:29 +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
As for the other chips in this family, in2, in3, in7 and in8 are
internal voltages so their mapping and scaling is fixed. The pin names
also strongly suggest connecting Vcore to in0, and I've never seen a
board manufacturer diverge from this. So you can start with the
following config statements:

chip "nct6775-*" "nct66776-*"

Err, typo here of course, I meant:

chip "nct6775-*" "nct6776-*"

Sorry.

    label in0 "Vcore"
    label in2 "AVCC"
    label in3 "+3.3V"
    label in7 "3VSB"
    label in8 "Vbat"

    set in2_min  3.3 * 0.90
    set in2_max  3.3 * 1.10
    set in3_min  3.3 * 0.90
    set in3_max  3.3 * 1.10
    set in7_min  3.3 * 0.90
    set in7_max  3.3 * 1.10
    set in8_min  3.0 * 0.90
    set in8_max  3.0 * 1.10

This leaves only 4 voltage inputs to configure, presumably for +5V,
+12V, and possibly 5VSB and Vdimm. Check the labels and values in the
BIOS (write them all down if they fluctuate) and maybe we can figure it
out.

--
Jean Delvare

OK looking in the specs on the w83627ehf bank0 3b-3f are the minimum fan speeds, on the n6776f they're not defined.

There appears to be a dual usage register "CPUFAN MODE Register / CPUFAN TOLERRANCE Register - Index 02h (Bank 2)" and the actual limit is readable in (CPUFANIN) Fan Count Limit High-byte Register - Index 3Ch (Bank 6), but that's read only. Maybe it's better if we handle the fan lo limit within the driver rather than through the chip.

Regards
Ian Dobson