Re: Accelerometer drivers in drivers/hwmon

Hi Jean,

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 01:23:30PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I would like to kick the following 5 drivers out of drivers/hwmon: ams,
> hdaps, hp_accel, lis3lv02d and applesmc. These are primarily
> accelerometer devices, so the drivers do not belong to hwmon.
>
> ams, hdaps, hp_accel and lis3lv02d don't even register a hwmon device.
> They are pure accelerometer drivers as far as I can see. Would you take
> them in drivers/input/misc?
>
> applesmc is more complex, it's a multifunction device. Maybe it would
> better go to drivers/macintosh, where the other thermal management
> drivers for mac machines live.
>
> If you don't want hdaps and hp_accel, they might also fit under
> drivers/platform/x86. There are quite a few laptop-specific drivers
> living there already.
>
> If nobody wants these drivers, drivers/misc is yet another option. I'm
> open to suggestions. Virtually anything which moves these drivers
> outside of drivers/hwmon will make me happy.

I looked over the drivers and none of them (with possible exception of
lis3lv02d) are pure input devices either. I think the best course of
action would be to move ams, applesmc, hdaps and hp_accel into
drivers/*/platform (I'd say drivers/x86/platform except that I think
apple one might not be x86 only).

lis3lv02d could ether go into drivers/misc or stay where it is for the
time being, pending resolution on overall IIO/Input/accelerometers
decision. I'd take it in input/misc but accelerometer guys need to
decide on common sysfs layout for such devices.

--
Dmitry