Re: Config for MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522)

Am 22.08.2010 16:13, schrieb Jean Delvare:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:13:05 +0200, Olaf Mandel wrote:
-Snipp-

> The problem is that you compared the Vcore in BIOS, without CPU
> frequency scaling, with Vcore in sensors, with CPU frequency scaling
> enabled (as can be seen from the two outputs below.) This isn't fair!

Hi Jean,

I have to agree, the previous compute line was wrong.

> If you compare with Linux underload instead, you see Vcore (unscaled)
> at 1.12 V. This is definitely not 35% off compared to the BIOS's report
> of 1.224 V. To be honest, I would have expected both values to match
> exactly. I get to suspect that your Linux system is configured to
> prevent the CPU to enter the highest frequency states, you may want to
> check this.

That was indeed the case: thermal_throttle was limiting the clock speed.
I checked the voltage by setting the clock speed manually and it gets at
least closer.

-Snipp-

> Your CPU cooling seems insufficient. A 56°C difference between idle and
> load is very, very much. I'd be worried.

It only gets hot if I run many instances of burnK7. If I just up the
clock speed, it doesn't get hot.

-Snipp-
> When you have come up with a "final" configuration file, please send it
> over, and I'll put it on the wiki.

Ok, it's attached to the mail. It remained nearly unchanged, except for
the compute lines and the limits you suggested. The two non-trivial
compute lines are taken from comparison of values (BIOS<->sensors) and
then searching the nearest simple voltage divider that would work. The
values are pure guesses!

Thank you again for your help!

Best regards,
Olaf Mandel
--
Olaf Mandel   <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxx>   <http://www.olaf.mandel.name/>
PGP key:      1024D/33398848 2002-09-19

# Temperature
    label   temp1 "CPU"
    label   temp2 "IOH"
    label   temp3 "System"

# Fans
    label   fan1  "CPU"
    label   fan2  "System 1" # This is not confirmed
    label   fan3  "System 2"
    ignore  fan2
    ignore  fan4

# Voltage