Re: Disabling fan control under Linux

 On 8/25/2010 2:43 AM, ICMP Request wrote:
Hello! I'm planning to install lm_sensors in my Linux platform using Gentoo, but I've got a little worried when I've read the following about lm_sensors on Gentoo Wiki:

"Warning: Be careful when activating sensors, like i2c, in the kernel. On some systems this might stop the fans from working and can disable the ACPI system-overheat shutdown as well. This will cause your computer to freeze at best, or may even cause serious hardware damage.

    * See the lm_sensors website for a problematic hardware list.
    * Using lm_sensors on IBM ThinkPads is especially not advised"

Well, I believe my hardware is in the supported list, but to avoid any problems, I would like to disable fan control under Linux/acpi/lm_sensors and any application using sensors, so they cannot turn my fan off. Fan would be purely controlled by hardware.

Can it be done by simply disabling the "fan" as built-in or module under ACPI?

Under Linux 2.6 Kernel:

Power management and ACPI options -> ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support -> Fan =n

Or do I have to do something more complex?

Thanks in advance!

Oh sorry, I've forgot to mention that I wish to disable turning my fan off but I still want to enable full acpi/lm_sensors to check my cpu temp/status, battery state, cpu freq scaling, etc. So is this possible to by doing what I mentioned above disable this single option but enable all the rest?