Re: Driver for MAX6696 temperature sensor

Hi Guenter,

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 01:38:30 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 03:52:04AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Hi Guenter,

> > > Agreed.
> > >
> > > Followup question: The chip supports three limits per sensor - ALERT, OT1, and OT2.
> > > Default settings are along the line of 70, 90, and 120 degrees C. OT2 typically causes
> > > a board shutdown.
> > >
> > > Current API only allows for two limits, so I am using ALERT for min/max, OT1 for crit,
> > > and ignore OT2. Any idea if/how we could report OT2 as well ?
> >
> > I have no objection adding another limit to the sysfs-interface. I seem
> > to recall that a few other thermal sensors would benefit from it.
> >
> > Could take the form of temp[1-*]_warn or temp[1-*]_crit2 (or any other
> > suggestion you may have). The w83795 driver I'm currently working on
>
> temp[1-*]_crit2 would probably be a better fit. "warn" doesn't seem right
> for a temperature causing a board reset.

Of course it really depends on what each limit does. "warn" would
probably be the lowest high limit, only warning the user / admin that
some action will be taken later if the temperature keeps raising.

Maybe temp[1-*]_emergency would be better than temp[1-*]_crit2?

> > has temp5_warn and temp6_warn. The values are lower than the ones in
> > temp5_max and temp6_max, respectively, so it seems different from your
> > own case. I'll check the register descriptions.
> >
> > Note that our decision might change the pertinence of adding support
> > for the MAX6696 to the lm90 driver.
>
> Code would not have to change much, though. All I have to add is some code to
> read the additional registers, and add three more sysfs attributes for the _crit2
> temperatures. Since I already added several attributes for the third sensor,
> this is not much additional change.

OK, alright then.

--
Jean Delvare