Re: ASUS P7P55D PRO

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM, David Cussans
<David.Cussans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Luca,
>    Many thanks for your mail, and the information that where is an ACPI
> driver that should work.
>
>    Alas, I am using Scientific Linux 5.4 ( a variant of RHEL 5.x ) which
> uses kernel version 2.6.18, where this driver isn't present. Although I am
> very keen to find out how hot the CPU is running I doubt I will have time to
> back-port the asus_atk0110 driver and I am reluctant to risk breaking a lot
> of other things by moving away from a locally supported platform.
>
>    I don't really understand which firmware is using the hardware monitoring
> device (W83667HG-B ? ).

ACPI (i.e. the your BIOS). Furthermore IIRC your board has an EC
(external controller - basically another chip running its own
firmware) which polls the hwmon chip on its own.

> Forgive my confusion, but is it possible, even in
> theory, to write a user-space lm_sensors driver for this motherboard?

You can't do that in userspace, but yorur chip should be supported by
w83627ehf in recent kernels, you can try and backport it (it should be
fairly self-contained, while asus_atk0110 requires modification in
core ACPI code).

Luca