Re: Starting up sensors failed

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:17:38 +0200, borat Gunter wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> i have done the *sensors-detect*, and the summary output looks like:
>
>  *Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
>  Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `eeprom' (should be inserted):
>   Detects correctly:
>   * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0440'
>     Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x50
>     Chip `SPD EEPROM' (confidence: 1)

If you see this, this means you are running a VERY old version of
sensors-detect. So, try the latest version first [1], and then report
again if it still doesn't work.

[1] http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect

> I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules.
>
> To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
> /etc/modprobe.conf:
> #----cut here----
> # I2C module options
> alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
> #----cut here----
> To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:
> #----cut here----
> # I2C adapter drivers
> modprobe i2c-piix4
> # I2C chip drivers
> modprobe eeprom
> # sleep 2 # optional
> /usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended
> #----cut here----
>
> WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the list above
> will contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really should
> try these commands right now to make sure everything is working properly.
> Monitoring programs won't work until it's done.
>
> Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no):
> insserv: can not symlink(../arkeia, rc2.d/S06arkeia): File exists
> insserv: can not symlink(../arkeia, rc3.d/S06arkeia): File exists
> insserv: can not symlink(../arkeia, rc4.d/S06arkeia): File exists
> insserv: can not symlink(../arkeia, rc5.d/S06arkeia): File exists

These errors come from your distribution and are unrelated to
lm-sensors.

> *and then i tried to ignore these error message to start the sensors,
> unfortunately failed.
> *:~ # /etc/init.d/lm_sensors start
> Starting up sensors:                                                 failed*
>
> Can somebody help me? What does insserv mean? And how to correct it?

"failed" isn't descriptive enough for us to help you. You'll have to
figure out which command in /etc/init.d/lm_sensors (which again is part
of your distribution and not lm-sensors) failed.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html