Re: control f71889fg pwm on 2.6.34

2010/6/10 Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Roman,
>
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:57:15 +0400, Roman Evstifeev wrote:
>> Hi. I have Mainboard* with F71889FG-based controller.
>> * - MSI P41T-C31 (
>> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1792 )
>>
>> After f71882fg module loaded - it creates bunch of the sysfs entries, and i
>> can succesfully read temperature and fan speed values from it. But i can't
>> control the pwm with it.
>> I tried pwmconfig utility as well as writing to sysfs files directly. sysfs
>> values get changed, but actual fan speed does not.
>> (...)
>
> Does the vendor advertise any form of fan speed (or noise) control on
> this board? In the manual or in the BIOS? The PWM outputs of your chip
> may simply not be wired on your board.

In BIOS there is "CPU Smart Fan Target" option, which allows to choose
desired temperature of CPU, i believe. But it should work only if
4-pin cooler connected to the CPU_Fan on mainboard. MB seems to not
allow to change voltage of 3-pin Fan, connected to this 4-pin slot by
any means (nor via BIOS nor manually via sysfs)

> It's not listed in SpeedFan's
> database as being fan-control-capable:
> http://www.almico.com/forummotherboards.php?man=269

I think this list if far from completeness... my prevoius mainboard,
which is capable of fan control (MSI 965-Neo-F v2) is not listed there
too.

> So unless you have a good reason to believe that fan control should
> work on your board, I am inclined to believe this is a hardware
> limitation and not a driver bug.
>
>> **************** trying manual control ************
>> linux-md9k:/sys/class/hwmon # cat hwmon2/device/pwm3_enable
>> 1
>> linux-md9k:/sys/class/hwmon # cat hwmon2/device/pwm3
>> 255
>> linux-md9k:/sys/class/hwmon # echo 140 > hwmon2/device/pwm3
>> linux-md9k:/sys/class/hwmon # echo 0 > hwmon2/device/pwm3
>> linux-md9k:/sys/class/hwmon # cat hwmon2/device/pwm3
>> 0
>
> Have you tried pwm1 and pwm2? On many boards, only one fan can be
> controlled, so only one PWM output is working.
>
> You should try our "pwmconfig" script to automatically test all PWM
> outputs.

Yes, i tried other pwms, when all the fans are connected. Manually and
with pwmconfig - no result.

It seems that the only way to control fan speed is via BIOS with 4-pin
CPU-cooler...
Anyways thanks for your help.