IPMI interface not found by sensors

Hi,
I'm running a CentOS 2.6.18-164 kernel patched with the ipmisensors patch recommended for >= 2.6.17 versions, to try and retrieve sensor information through an IPMI interface.

Using lm_sensors version 3.1.2:

Sensors-detect locates it as follows:

Found `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca2...                            Success!
    (confidence 8, driver `ipmisensors')

However, 'sensors reports 'no sensors found'.

Debugging sensors with gdb, it would appear that  no entries are added to the sensors_proc_chips_count through sensors_add_proc_chips from within sensors_read_one_sysfs_chip. This in turn would appear to be a result of the ipmi entry not having a "name" attribute as checked by sysfs_read_attr, under the comment /* ignore any device without name attribute */ in sysfs.c.

ipmisensors, ipmi_si and ipmi_msghandler are all loaded and running.

What I'm not sure if I've missed a step somewhere that would add the name attribute under the hwmon_path for this ipmi interface? Or what that "name" attribute would look like.

Output of sensors-detect, sensors, and dmesg (filtered for ipmi) is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ajai Puri mailto:ajaipuri@xxxxxxxxx

No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

ipmi message handler version 39.1
IPMI System Interface driver.
ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000000,  prod_id: 0x0000, dev_id: 0x20)
 IPMI kcs interface initialized
ipmisensors - IPMI BMC sensors interface
ipmisensors: Registered IPMI 2.0 BMC over interface 0
ipmisensors: Send 0x22
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Got first resid 0x0001
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x0 0x0 0x0
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x0 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x1 0x10
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x1 0x20
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x1 0x30
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: Error 0xca on cmd 0xb/0x23
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Reducing SDR request size to 8
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x0 0x0 0x0
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x0 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: SDR 0: type 0x04 ()
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x0 0x2 0x0
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x0 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x8
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x10
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x18
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x20
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x28
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: Get SDR 0x1 0x2 0x30
ipmisensors: Send 0x23 0x1 0x0
ipmisensors: Error 0xca on cmd 0xb/0x23
ipmisensors: received message
ipmisensors: IPMI buffers too small, giving up
Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               Yes
Found `Winbond W83627DHG Super IO Sensors'
    (address 0xa10, but not activated)
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      No

Some systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfaces
through which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.
We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find it
there, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for such
interfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMI
interfaces? (YES/no): YES
Found `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca2...                            Success!
    (confidence 8, driver `ipmisensors')

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): YES
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290...                   No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290...                   No

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): YES
Found unknown SMBus adapter 8086:3b30 at 0000:00:1f.3.
Sorry, no supported PCI bus adapters found.
Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 0400 (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES
Client found at address 0x1a
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1021'...                     No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1021A/ADM1023'...            No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1617'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1617A'...                             No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1668'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1805'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1989'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX6655/MAX6656'...                      No
Probing for `TI THMC10'...                                  No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM84'...                No
Probing for `Genesys Logic GL523SM'...                      No
Probing for `Onsemi MC1066'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1618'...                              No
Probing for `Maxim MAX1619'...                              No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM82/LM83'...           No
Probing for `Maxim MAX6654/MAX6690'...                      No
Probing for `Maxim MAX6680/MAX6681'...                      No
Probing for `Texas Instruments AMC6821'...                  No
Client found at address 0x1b
Probing for `Maxim MAX6650/MAX6651'...                      No
Client found at address 0x52
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 No
Client found at address 0x53
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 No

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `ipmisensors':
  * ISA bus, address 0xca2
    Chip `IPMI BMC KCS' (confidence: 8)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): YES
Starting lm_sensors: loading module ipmi-si ipmisensors No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
                                                           [FAILED]
Unloading i2c-dev... OK