Re: How to compile k10temp?

On 02/17/2010 01:39 AM, Mark Preston wrote:

I have an MSI motherboard (K9N6PGM-V2) and AMD cpu Athlon II X4 620 (4
core cpu). I have found that some people have LM-sensors for K10 working
in Ubuntu (Karmic, v 9.10) and I downloaded the driver:
lm_sensors-3.1.2.tar.bz2 and following the instructions, tried make all,
but the terminal returned error messages.

I read at the wiki about AMD

Family 10h CPU, family 11h CPU

and drive k10temp which is in kernel 2.6.33.

My OS: Karmic:~$ uname -r = 2.6.31-19-generic

so will k10 and LM work if I compile a .33 kernel, or will it be OK if I
compile the K10 into the .31 kernel?

I'm not a programmer, but I can do some compiling tasks, as I'm not
unfamiliar with ./ and such. I just need to know what order to issue the
commands in and which ones need 'sudo' in front of them.

Can someone please point me to a tutorial or how-to and help me compile
this into my OS?

First of all lm_sensors-3.1.2.tar.bz2 is not a driver, it's a user space package for querying and showing data from Linux kernel. Secondly, on Ubuntu you don't have to download compile and install lm-sensors package, 'cause it's already there:

Run any console application (like gnome terminal and konsole), then

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
$ sudo apt-get upgrade (reboot if you have a new kernel installed)

The next thing to do is to run in console:

$ sudo sensors-detect

and given that sensors-detect detects and installs its configuration you need to:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/lm_sensors restart (or something like that - I'm not a Debian/Ubuntu user).

--

Best wishes,

Artem