Re: API extensions (for IIO, matching hwmon as closely as possible)

Hi Jean,

Am 01.02.2010 14:52, schrieb Jean Delvare:
Hi Jonathan,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:31:08 +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
We recently proposed an API specification for parts of the Industrial I/O
subsystem in a thread on LKML.  Greg KH pointed out that a we ought to, where
sensible keep as close as possible to API's of existing subsystems.  To that
end we are working on an updated version of the original document.
(original at http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/20/195, please note it has changed
a lot in response to comments made in that thread!)

I've read Greg's comment. I'm not quite sure I agree... IIO serves a
purpose which is clearly different from hwmon. The use cases are
different. Otherwise everyone would use hwmon and IIO wouldn't have to
support voltage and temperature inputs at all. So I don't think it
makes too much sense to make the new IIO API look like the hwmon one.
Learning from our mistakes, yes, certainly. But let's not get too far
into copying, otherwise we might lose the focus on the specific IIO
needs.

You're absolutly right here. IIO has to support more hardware features of these devices than hwmon does. But IIO knows about the type of sensor, so it shouldn't be too hard to add an option to IIO to export voltage and temperature devices into hwmon. The same could be done with accelerometers for input.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Manuel Stahl
Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS