Re: sensors show hdd temp instead of cpu temp using coretemp in acer d250

Cpuburn really helped, thank you :)

> Make and run the `./burnP6 &` twice to occpuy whole CPU. Check whether the coretemp temperature increase.

Indeed, it seems that the temperature is reported low but not as hdd's
temp. I started when hhtemp's report was same as sensors, after some
cpuburn:

$ sensors && sudo hddtemp /dev/sda
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +52.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +52.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +26.8°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

/dev/sda: WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0: 40°C

At 52C, the fans sounded a bit panicky :)

> What makes you believe that hwmonitor is right and Linux is wrong rather than the other way around?

I thought rather that Windows software was closer to an accurate
reading. Running both speedfan & hwmonitor side by side (screenshot
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=24478 ) demonstrates that
no one really knows what the temperature of this cpu is :-) The
particular reason why I believe Windows softwares' report in this case
is because I find the reported cpu temperatures on linux simply too
low. If the critical temperature of my cpu is 90C, why would the bios
(?) turn the fans on at 36C or so? And speeds them up at around 45C or
so? (And one more speedup at 54C I think, but I am not sure about that
at all)

As you said in your email, though, this is pure speculation on my part
(especially after seeing speedfan and hwmonitor disagree too, though
the range of temperature they disagreed sounded more logical to me).

> As this is an Acer machine... Did you try the acerhdf driver already?

Yes, the output is "No such device" (its website says: "no acer d150
and d250 support !!!" at http://www.piie.net/index.php?section=acerhdf
). I don't know why "!!!" :)

Thank you very much for all the help. Sorry to bother you all.