Re: Troubleshooting SCH5127 / DME1737

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:56:40 -0600 (CST), jrickman@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am trying to troubleshoot why the SCH5127 sensor inside my Acer H340 NAS
> system is not reporting via "lm_sensors". The chip shows to be on the
> supported devices list. The "dme1737" module is on the system. I now know
> about the "coretemp" support for Intel Atom CPU coming in the 2.6.32
> kernel. When I try to run "sensors -f" it tells me to run
> "sensors-detect". When I run "sensors-detect" it sees the need to load the
> "coretemp" and "dme-1737" modules, but neither module seems to load.

Actually, the dme1737 driver does load, I can see it in the output of
"lsmod". But please note that the dme1737 driver is an hybrid driver,
it supports both SMBus and I/O access to devices, so it will load
successfully even if no supported device is found - in case an SMBus
device becomes reachable later.

> (...)
> [root@acer-nas-01 ~]# sensors-detect
> # sensors-detect revision 1.1
> # System: Acer Aspire easyStore H340
> # Board: Acer WG945GCM
>
> This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
> to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
> and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
> unless you know what you're doing.
>
> Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
> Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no):
> Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
> VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
> VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
> AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
> AMD Family 11h thermal sensors...                           No
> Intel Core family thermal sensor...                         Success!
>     (driver `coretemp')
> Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
> VIA C7 thermal and voltage sensors...                       No
>
> Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
> standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
> Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
> Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
> Found `SMSC SCH5127 Super IO'                               Success!
>     (address 0x800, driver `dme1737')
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
> Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
> Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               No
> Trying family `ITE'...                                      No

The problem is that sensors-detect and the dme1737 driver disagree. The
former claims that the latter supports the SMSC SCH5127, but looking at
the driver code, support is _not_ there. Which explains why loading the
dme1737 driver doesn't have any effect.

Juerg, this part of sensors-detect comes from you [1]. It was a follow
up of an private discussion we had with a guy named Marcos Dione. You
sent him a modified dme1737 driver and he tried that, with good results
as far as I can see, but actual SCH5127 support was never added to the
public driver. I think I was waiting for you to look at the datasheet
(which I do not have) and tell me if there were incompatibilities
between the SCH5127 and SCH311x devices. But it did not happen so we
still do not have SMSC SCH5127 support at the moment.

[1] http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2008-April/022900.html

At the very least, sensors-detect should report what the driver
actually supports. But if we could have SCH5127 support that would
obviously be better. Please let me know if you think treating the
SCH5127 as an SCH311x without other changes is OK, if that's the case
we can do that easily. Otherwise I'll have to mark the device as
unsupported in sensors-detect.

jrickman, the good news if that all hope isn't lost ;) You can try
driver believe that you have an SCH3112 chip. It worked for one user in
the past, maybe it'll work for you too. That being said, until Juerg
provides more information, I suggest that you use the driver in
read-only mode: don't try changing the limits or the fan speeds. Better
safe than sorry...

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html