Re: Found unknown chip with ID 0x8700

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:27:02 +0300, daniel.solgalov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi!
> I am using opensuse 11.2 with factory kernel-desktop 2.6.32 with my MSI
> WIND U210 netbook.
> There is no fan control under Opensuse so i guess it is because of the
> following sensors-detect output ("Found unknown chip with ID 0x8700"):
>
> sensors-detect
> # sensors-detect revision 5729 (2009-06-02 15:51:29 +0200)
> # System: Micro-Star International U210 (laptop)
> # Board: MSI MS-1241
> (...)
> Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
> standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
> Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): y
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
> Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
> Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'...                       No
> Trying family `ITE'...                                      No
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   Yes
> Found unknown chip with ID 0x8700
> (...)
> I guess it is ITE IT8700 chip which is likely to be the same as IT8705?

Certainly not. The IT87xxF chips are made by ITE, while sensors-detect
found a National Semiconductor super-I/O chip on your board.

Your best chance at this point is search for technical documentation
about your netbook and see if they say which super-I/O (or LPC) chip is
used. That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath: most laptops/netbooks
have minimalist super-I/O chips with little to no hardware monitoring
features anyway.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html