hi,how to resolve the problem,thank you

I searched the information that is as following. how to resolve this problem? Thank you

I'm working on a project that uses a smm665 that contains a small
eeprom device on an i2c bus connected to an intel ICH9.

The datasheet for the smm665 specifies that a eeprom read needs
a repeated start.

Figure 24 here:

  http://www.summitmicro.com/prod_select/summary/SMM665/SMM665B_2089_20.pdf

Does anyone happen to know if this adapter supports repeated starts?
The kernel version I'm currently using (admittedly a bit old) does not
appear to do so.

Needless to say, vanilla reads using the smbus api don't work for this
device (but do for an atmel eeprom that I also have access to).

Thanks,
Craig