Re: How do you make lm_sensors see a hwmon device?

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:24:12 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:44:43 +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > I've written a driver for a USB device that has a number of sensors on it
> > (it's a PC power supply with a USB cable for voltage/current monitoring) and
> > the device appears in the hwmon class.
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't figure out how to make lm_sensors "see" it (when I run
> > "sensors" it isn't displayed, and programs like gkrellm that use lm_sensors
> > don't see the device or its sensors.)  The files all seem to be in the same
> > place as other devices which work, and I'm running a fairly recent version of
> > lm_sensors (3.0.3.)
> >
> > Any ideas how to make my device appear to lm_sensors?
> >
> > $ ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon[45]/device/name
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K 2009-10-11 22:55 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon4/device/name
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K 2009-10-11 23:24 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon5/device/name
> >
> > $ cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon[45]/device/name
> > coretemp
> > odin
> >
> > $ cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon[45]/device/temp1_input
> > 50000
> > 39000
>
> Looks good so far. What are the underlying device types for your
> devices (what does their "subsystem" link point to)? libsensors names
> devices uniquely, partly based on the device type. If it doesn't know
> the type, it ignores the device. In particular we don't have support
> for USB yet... that could be the problem.
>
> It might be difficult to come up with a device numbering convention for
> USB devices that will fit in what libsensors expectes, given to the
> unlimited nature of USB daisy-chaining. But hopefully we can come up
> with something good enough for the most common cases.

Oh, please also send the output of:
$ ls -l /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon*/device
and
$ ls -l /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon[45]/device/

And I am curious about your USB device and what sensors it has. If
these are I2C sensor chips and there's an I2C bus inside the device, it
may make more sense to write a bus drivers for that I2C segment, and
use regular I2C sensor chip drivers on top of it. But of course it
depends whether you have all the needed technical information to do
this or not (if the hardware design allows it at all.)

--
Jean Delvare