fancontrol using 100 megs?

Le jeudi 20 ao?t 2009 23:27:35, Timothy Normand Miller a ?crit :
> I've had my Linux box up for weeks.  I was looking at top and noticed
> that the VIRT column for fancontrol said "100m".  Now, I know you're
> supposed to take VIRT with a grain of salt because it includes all
> kinds of things like shared memory, etc.  But isn't 100 megs a bit
> excessive?  Isn't this just a shell script?
>
> BTW, RES and SHR are 2944 and 504, respectively.
The VIRT column doesn't mean anything on linux (and any other modern OS),
well, it's the allocated memory size. The actual memory consumption including
libraries is RES+SHR, so 3.5MB, which seems fine to me for that.
But if you prefer, you can rewrite it in plain C, with all the debuggings and
so on to gain maybe 2MiB :)