no PWM output with pwmconfig

Jean Delvare wrote:

>>> Hmm, you are root, aren't you?
>>>
>> nelis at nelis-desktop:/$ sudo pwmconfig
>> # pwmconfig revision 5630 (2009-01-29)
>> This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
>> controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
>> your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
>> circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.
>>
>> We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
>> The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
>> after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
>> physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
>> after the program has completed.
>>
>> Found the following devices:
>>    hwmon0 is acpitz
>>    hwmon1/device is k8temp
>>    hwmon2/device is f71862fg
>>
>> Found the following PWM controls:
>>    hwmon2/device/pwm1
>> hwmon2/device/pwm1 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
>> In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
>> it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
>> you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
>>    hwmon2/device/pwm2
>> hwmon2/device/pwm2 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
>> In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
>> it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
>> you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
>>    hwmon2/device/pwm3
>> hwmon2/device/pwm3 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
>> In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
>> it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
>> you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
>> There are no usable PWM outputs.
>>

> OK, I'll change pwmconfig to complain if run as non-root.
>

>>> (...)
>>> Note that all 3 fan controllers are in automatic mode (pwm#_enable >
>>> 1), which is less CPU-intensive than manual mode and usually gives
>>> better results. So you might now want to use pwmconfig and fancontrol
>>> anyway, but rather tweak the automatic mode settings by writing to the
>>> pwm#_auto_point# files above.
>>>
>>> I admit the current configuration is a little odd. Usually point2 has
>>> pwm and temperature values above point1, not below. I am not familiar
>>> with the Fintek F71862FG and its driver though. Hans?
>>>
>> I am unable to write to the files.
>>
>> nelis at nelis-desktop:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device$ sudo echo "0" >
>> pwm1_enable
>> -bash: pwm1_enable: Permission denied
>>

> Never mix sudo and shell redirection, it doesn't work. Redirection
> "happens first" so you try to write as non-root, and this isn't allowed.
>

>> So i guess temp3 is cpu temp and temp1 is motherboard temp.
>>

> Or the other way around, it's hard to tell. Maybe looking at what the
> BIOS displays will provide valuable hints. I certainly hope temp2 isn't
> real...
>

>> But can't change that either.

> [...]
root at nelis-desktop:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device# echo "0" > pwm1_enable
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
root at nelis-desktop:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device# echo "3" >
pwm1_auto_channels_temp
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

Trading permission for invalid arguments. Sounds like politics.

Thanks again for helping me out.