Another possible hwmon project

Hi all,

On 06/24/2009 10:17 AM, Andre Prendel wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:03:13AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> First, sorry for bad response times. I'm very busy with private stuff
>>> at the moment. I'll change the company I'm working for. This is
>>> related with moving back to my hometown (Dresden).
>>>
>> Ok, np.

>>> I want to know how things work at low level. This makes things easier
>>> to understand for me.

>>> I can't see these files in sysfs. What driver is responsible for creation?
>>>
>> Hmm, strange, I dunno on all my systems they just exists. Weird, maybe you
>> are running a somewhat old kernel ?
>
> Ok, I've found the files on my system under /sys/class/dmi/id/. Driver
> /drivers/firmware/dmi-id.c creates the files. The driver was
> introduced in 2007.

Hmm, ok, I have them there too (/sys/class/dmi/id is a symlink to
/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id on my system), so if /sys/class/dmi/id
works on more systems / kernel configs lets use that.

> Jean, could you bring some light into the darkness? I've seen you did
> some work on the DMI stuff.
>
> I'm using the most recent mainline kernel form git. Hans, what version
> do you use?

I'm using a stock Fedora 11 kernel, I think this might be related to
the various sysfs compatibility kernel configuration options.

> BTW, Jean. Hans asked me for working on the automatic configuration of
> sensors using DMI information.

Ack, its still something which I would like to see done, so I suggested the
idea to Andre.

Andre, as said before I think once you're done orienting yourself, the first
thing to do is write a proposal how this all will work and send it to the
list.

Regards,

Hans